This copyright policy sets out how users are permitted to use our content and also explains the types of use that require the purchase of additional licences. This policy forms part of our terms and conditions. Thank you for reading this policy, our ability to invest in high-quality journalism depends on our users complying with it. We reserve the right to change our copyright policy from time to time by publishing an updated policy on beautywiseup.com, which shall become effective and replace any previous policy with effect from publication. This version of the copyright policy was published on June 9, 2017.
What is copyright?
Copyright law gives the copyright owner the exclusive right to control the use of copyright-protected works. All of the material published on our website and other digital/wireless platforms is protected by copyright law and should only be used as set out in the “How may I use the Beauty Wise Up Content?” section below. Use that is made without our permission may, therefore, infringe our copyright which can result in personal and corporate liability. Where we state below that something is not allowed or permitted, then to do so is a breach of our terms and conditions, i.e. is a breach of contract, and may also violate copyright law.
How may I use the Beauty Wise Up Content?
You may do the following:
- View our content for your personal use on any device that is compatible with beautywiseup.com (this might be your PC, laptop, smartphone, tablet or other mobile devices) and store our content on that device for your personal use;
- Print single copies of articles on paper for your personal use;
- Share links to articles by using any sharing tools we make available.
How may I republish or redistribute the Beauty Wise Up Content?
Except as set out above, you may not copy the Beauty Wise Up Content from beautywiseup.com or any third party source of the Beauty Wise Up Content such as news aggregators and you may not republish or redistribute full text articles, for example by pasting them into emails or republishing them in any media, including websites, newsletters or intranets.
We recognise that users of the Internet want to share information with others. We therefore permit limited republishing and redistribution of the Beauty Wise Up Content as set out below provided that this does not create a Substitute for Beauty Wise Up’s own products or services. We define a Substitute as a product or service that reduces the need for users or other third parties to visit beautywiseup.com directly, or which creates revenue from the Beauty Wise Up’s content to the detriment of Beauty Wise Up’s own ability to generate revenues from that content.
As long as you do not create a Substitute, you may do the following:
- Publish online, the original Beauty Wise Up headline and a link to the article and the first 140 characters of an article (what we call teaser text);
- Forward the original headlines, links and teaser text to other individuals;
- Download our RSS feeds and view them for your personal use. We currently publish headlines and teaser text within our RSS feeds. You may also make an RSS feed available to third parties, users within an organisation you work for or users of a website that you publish, on condition that you comply with the restrictions set out below.
The restrictions that apply to use of our RSS feeds are that you:
- only publish the feed for access via a web-based browser.
- do not use or publish the feed as part of a paid for service or for other commercial gain.
- publish the feed as it is made available on beautywiseup.com, so that you only include the headline and teaser content, and ensure that the headline links back to the full text article on beautywiseup.com.
- attribute the feed to the Beauty Wise Up as “© Beauty Wise Up [year]”.
- do not archive the feed or any of its content.
- comply with our guidelines on usage of the Beauty Wise Up logos.
Am I allowed to copy or summarise limited parts of Beauty Wise Up full text content?
As specified above you may not republish or redistribute full text articles (except as permitted by any sharing tools we make available).
You may however republish or redistribute ”Summaries” of Beauty Wise Up articles if you comply with the conditions set out below. “Summaries” can be either an “extract” or an “abstract”. By “extract” we mean 30 words copied verbatim from an Beauty Wise Up article which are inserted into a longer original work . By “abstract” we mean a 30 word non-verbatim summary of the news or facts reported in an Beauty Wise Up article which does not form part of a longer work and does not misrepresent the original Beauty Wise Up article.
These are the conditions you must comply with in order to produce summaries:
- you source Beauty Wise Up as the author of any article from which you have derived a summary by way of an attribution such as “Beauty Wise Up reported that”, with a hypertext link from the word “Beauty Wise Up” to the original story published on beautywiseup.com;
- in the case of abstracts, you make clear that the abstract has been produced by you by stating “this abstract from Beauty Wise Up”, with a hypertext link from the word “Beauty Wise Up” to the original story published on beautywiseup.com;
- you ensure that your summaries do not in whole or in part form a Substitute for Beauty Wise Up’s own products and services (see above for how we define Substitute). The more summaries you create the greater the risk of substitution. No individual or organisation may create, republish or redistribute more than ten summaries in aggregate each day, each one sourced from a different Beauty Wise Up article that is published on the same day you create the summary;
- you do not use or create summaries that promote or endorse any product or service; and
- if Beauty Wise Up notifies you that it believes you are creating, republishing or redistributing summaries outside of these parameters, you shall immediately cease doing so and your rights to create summaries shall be regarded as having been withdrawn, unless/until Beauty Wise Up reaches an agreement with you regarding your use of Beauty Wise Up articles.
Please note that these rights do not extend to content, data or other material published by Beauty Wise Up that we licence from third parties (including stock exchange or other index providers) which you may not republish or redistribute.
How am I allowed to link to Beauty Wise Up Content?
If you would like to link to beautywiseup.com, please read and comply with the following guidelines and all applicable laws. A site or service that links to beautywiseup.com:
- may display the Beauty Wise Up logo (view our brand guidelines) to indicate the source of the link, but must not otherwise use any Beauty Wise Up trademarks without permission from Beauty Wise Up;
- must not remove, distort or otherwise alter the size or appearance of the Beauty Wise Up logo;
- may link to the homepage of beautywiseup.com, and, provided that you comply with this copyright policy, may also link to other pages of beautywiseup.com;
- must not be a Substitute (as defined above);
- must not in any way imply that Beauty Wise Up is endorsing it or its products or services;
- must not misrepresent its relationship with Beauty Wise Up or present false information about Beauty Wise Up;
- must not be a site or service that infringes any intellectual property or other right of any person or that otherwise does not comply with all relevant laws and regulations; and
- must not be a site or service that contains content that could be construed as distasteful or offensive.
What am I not permitted to do with the Beauty Wise Up Content?
You cannot do anything other than make use of the content as set out above, unless you buy the appropriate licence, see below for details. By way of example only, this means that you cannot:
- Copy, publish or redistribute full text articles, photographs, graphics, tables or images in any way (except as permitted by any sharing tools we make available).
- Create derivative works from our content, unless you are creating summaries as described above.
- Photocopy or scan copies of articles.
- Remove the copyright or trademark notice from any copies of Beauty Wise Up Content.
- Use spidering technology or other data mining technologies to search and link to beautywiseup.com.
- Create a database in electronic or structured manual form by systematically and/or regularly downloading, caching, printing and storing all or any Beauty Wise Up Content (by spidering or otherwise).
- Frame, harvest or scrape Beauty Wise Up Content or otherwise access Beauty Wise Up Content for similar purposes.
- Use or attempt to use Beauty Wise Up Content outside the parameters we set depending on what subscription you have.